TARRYN’S TUESDAY SUP TIPS – IN’S & OUT’S
STAND UP PADDLE BOARD TRAINING -WHAT ARE IN’s AND OUT’s?
Paddling your 12’6/14ft race board through the waves to the backline as hard as you can, turning at the back and catching a wave in. The idea is to get your heartrate as high as possible on the way out through the surf and then recover and rest on your way in while riding a wave!
Doing In’s and Out’s through the surf on your race board is one of the best ways to get paddling fit. Some of the benefits of training in and out through the surf are, balance, strength and power!
If you are new to this type of training you can start by doing 1 or 2 of these exercises on a small, clean day – and then slowly increase the number while learning to master all conditions!
Here are 5 tips to help you get started!
- Always make sure your board is facing straight out to sea or straight towards the beach. Never parallel to the wave!
- Use short fast strokes through the surf.
- When the white water of the wave hits you make sure your back foot is at the back of your board. Pushing down on the tail of your board allows your nose to lift up and over the white water.
- Always wear a leash. If you feel uncomfortable in the waves you can also wear a PFD (lifejacket) and helmet.
- Make sure you are pulling with your ‘bigger’ muscles (eg: abs) rather than just your arms.
Join us every Wednesday at Xpression on the Beach in Muizenberg to attempt your first “In & Out’ challenge!
Follow us on Facebook : Xpression On The Beach
Like us on Instagram : Xpression On The Beach
Check out our website : xpressiononthebeach.com
CALL US: 021 709 0596