TARRYN’S TUESDAY SUP TIPS – FLATWATER RACING
5 TIPS THAT WILL HELP YOU DURING A FLATWATER RACE
- Cross Train – Between getting paddling fit for your races you should try and do some other sort of exercise – Cardio, light weights, swimming or yoga are great ways to cross train. This works incredibly well towards building strength.
- Have a decent breakfast – something light and full of energy. Make sure you eat at least 1-2hours before your race to avoid indigestion or possibly getting a stitch.
- Make sure you’re on the right equipment – If you are paddling on flatwater, you will want to make sure your board and paddle are the right length. Your board needs to be either a 14ft or 12’6ft race board. Your paddle needs to be cut to a comfortable height and rule of thumb is the handle needs to be a fist above the top of your head. A small blade works better as you will be expending more energy with a larger blade pulling the water. Quicker strokes are required when racing, which is easier with a smaller blade
- Rotate your torso to help prevent injury – Rotating your torso during each paddle stroke allows you to use your bigger muscles in your core and the larger muscles around your hip area, allowing for a more powerful stroke through the water and further reach.
- Keep Hydrated – If the race is 8km or longer, it’s a good idea to paddle with a hydration pack.
MOST IMPORTANTLY….HAVE FUN
Follow us on Facebook : Xpression On The Beach
Like us on Instagram : Xpression On The Beach
CALL US: 021 709 0596